Today, June 9th
- Logan Browning (“Meet the Browns”) – 25
- Michaela Conlin (“Bones”) – 36
- Johnny Depp (“Edward Scissorhands,” “Pirates of the Caribbean” franchise) (FAST FACT: He won a Golden Globe Award for Best Actor for his role in “Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street”) – 51
- Michael J. Fox (“Back to the Future,” “The American President”) – 53
- Tamela Mann (“Diary of a Mad Black Woman”) – 48
- Natalie Portman (“Black Swan,” “Rush”) – 33
- Gloria Reuben (“ER,” “Raising the Bar”) – 50
- Brian Patrick Wade (“The Big Bang Theory”) – 36
- Mae Whitman (“Avatar,” “Parenthood”) (FUN FACT: She started her career doing voiceovers for Tyson chicken commercials.) – 26
- Muse’s Matthew Bellamy – 36
- Uriah Heep’s Mixk Box – 67
- Hootie & the Blowfish’s Dean Felber – 47
- Wes Scantlin – 42
- The Chemical Brothers’ Ed Simons – 44
- Starsailor’s James Walsh – 34
- The late Les Paul, who also invented the electric guitar – (1915-2009) …he would have been 99.
- The late Jackie Wilson (1934-1984) …he would have been 80.
- Author Patricia Cornwell (Kay Scarpetta series of crime novels) – 58
- Miami Heat’s power forward/center Udonis Haslem – 34
- Religious leader and author Bishop T.D. Jakes (FAST FACT: Pastor of The Potter House, a megachurch with 30,000 members, whose sermons are broadcast all over the world on numerous stations including Trinity Broadcasting Network and BET) – 57
- Screenwriter David Koepp (“Jurassic Park,” “Mission Impossible”) (FAST FACT: He is among some of the most successful screenwriters on Earth, having sold over 2-billion dollars in ticket sales and box office receipts.) – 51
- Comedian Jackie Mason – 83
- Film writer and producer Aaron Sorkin (“The Newsroom,” “The West Wing,” “Moneyball”) – 53
- Legendary sportscaster Dick Vitale – 75
- The late songwriter Cole Porter (1891-1964)
TRACY MORGAN IN CRITICAL CONDITION AFTER CAR CRASH
Tracy Morgan remains in critical condition after the limo bus he was traveling in was part of a six car accident early Saturday morning. The 45-year-old actor was traveling from a show in Deleware when a tractor trailer from Wal-Mart swerved in a last minute attempt to avoid hitting the limo, but ultimately crashed into it.
The accident happened on the New Jersey Turnpike at about 1 am on Saturday. James McNair, a 63-year-old comedian who goes by the name of Jimmy Mack, was killed on impact. Morgan, his assistant Jeffrey Millea, and comedian Ardie Fuqua all remain in critical condition at a New Brunswick, New Jersey hospital. The latest is that Morgan has undergone surgery on his leg and will remain in the hospital for a few weeks.
There's been no news of the other victims involved in the crash, but the driver of the Wal-Mart trailer, 35-year-old Kevin Roper, turned himself into police. He has been charged with one count of death by auto and four counts of assault by auto, according to "The New York Times." "This is a tragedy and we are profoundly sorry that one of our trucks was involved," Bill Simon, president and CEO of Wal-Mart U.S., said in a statement. "The facts are continuing to unfold. If it's determined that our truck caused the accident, Wal-Mart will take full responsibility." Our thoughts are with all the victims' loved ones.
Source: "The New York Times"
Here are some of the first responses about Tracy Morgan's accident:
J.LO BREAKS IT OFF WITH HER "BOY TOY"
Looks like Jennifer Lopez and Casper Smart have called it quits after two and a half years. But don’t think the transsexual model contributed to their demise. In fact, TMZ reports that the two actually split up almost two months ago!
Sources say that the breakup was civil, and the two just simply grew apart. Casper is actually in the process of moving out now, but there hasn’t been a rush because J-Lo’s been on the road promoting her latest album, “AKA.”
As for the transsexual model, Sofie Vissa, she was a non-factor because they started exchanging texts a month ago – long after Smart and Lopez broke up. But sources say that he probably wasn’t aware of Sofie’s she-male status. An insider said, “He’s not that guy, but like a lot of single guys online he obviously likes to look at a lil T and A.’”
USHER DEFENDS THE BIEBZ
Finally, Usher it speaking out on the Justin Bieber racist video incidents. The singer, who helped craft Biebz into a superstar, supports him and knows he's not racist. Usher posted a picture of himself and young biebz along with a caption explaining that at the time of the videos, he was a kid who didn't know the power of his words.
"At my core, I am a person that supports growth and understands without judgement, that growth often comes as a result of pain and continues effort. As I have watched Justin Bieber navigate difficult waters as a young man, I can tell you that he hasn't always chosen the path of his greatest potential, but he is unequivocally not a racist," Usher wrote over the weekend. "What he was 5 years ago was a naive child who did not understand the negative power and degradation that comes from playing with racial slurs."
He adds that this could and should make an example out of Bieber. "What he is now is a young man faced with an opportunity to become his best self, an example to the millions of kids that follow him to not make the same mistakes."
ONE MORE THING!
Some people, like Usher, you want in your corner. Others, like Chris Brown, you don't. For some reason the newly freed singer weighed in on the racist videos, saying, Biebz "made a mistake" and should be forgiven, according to Music-News.com.
MELANIE GRIFFITH AND ANTONIO BANDERAS HAVE UNCOUPLED
First Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin said that they were “consciously uncoupling.” Now Melanie Griffith and Antonio Banderas are divorcing “thoughtfully and consensually” after 18 years of marriage. Uh, okay.
Melanie and Antonio released a statement saying, “We have thoughtfully and consensually decided to finalize our almost twenty years marriage in a loving and friendly manner honoring and respecting each other, our family and friends and the beautiful time we have spent together.”
TMZ reported on Friday that divorce lawyer Laura Wasser filed the paperwork for Griffith, citing irreconcilable differences. She’s asking for child support and sole physical and joint legal custody of their only daughter, Stella – who’ll turn 18 in September. This will be Melanie’s fourth divorce – she was married to Don Johnson twice and to Steve Bauer once – and Antonio’s second. He was previously married to Spanish actress Ana Leza.
NO PARTYING FOR JAY-Z
Even though Beyoncé didn’t do anything to stop her sister, Solange, from putting the smackdown on Jay-Z in that infamous elevator video, sources say that she’s putting her foot down on her husband now.
According to Music-News.com, the rumors of infidelity that have surfaced have been a source of more embarrassment than Bey wants to deal with – especially since they were the poster children for wedded bliss. Therefore, she’s told him that he’s got to stop his partying ways – and that includes the nights he spends at his 40/40 Club in New York City. An insider said, “Bey hit an all-time low after all the drama. She's so torn right now - she adores her sister just as she does her husband. Jay wants things to work so he's agreed to her plan. It's a tough time for them, but they're both determined to ride out the storm.”
The source added that Jay is so committed to his marriage that, “he doesn't care if she takes a peek at his phone from time to time.”
It was a weekend of small screen "I do's." Former "Bachelorette" Emily Maynard got hitched in a super secret wedding that surprised even the guests, while "Good Morning America" meteorologist Ginger Zee got married in a quaint ceremony in her home state of Michigan. Here are some of the deets:
- Emily Maynard's wedding guests thought they were going to her and now hubby Tyler Johnson's engagement party. Guests received a viewfinder with several pictures including the date and a photograph of Emily's daughter, Ricki, holding a sign that read, "Y'all come!" The venue was not announced ahead of time, with guests being picked up at various locations and brought to the party, according to eOnline. The ceremony ended up taking place the the Johnson family farm in Charlotte, North Carolina.
- Ginger Zee got hitched in a home town party. The meteorologist is from Michigan and decided to have her wedding along a lake that holds sentimental value, according to "People." "I am so proud to be from Michigan and I have countless memories of growing up along this gorgeous lake," she told the mag. "I wanted to have one of the most important moments of my life here and make another one of those memories." She and now hubby Ben Aaron, a NBC news correspondent, said exchanged "traditional" vows in front of 55 people in an "intimate and charming" wedding.
Congrats to all the newlyweds!
JOAN RIVERS HAS A NEW BOOK
No one would describe Joan Rivers as a nice person, and in her new book, it seems she has some jabs for everyone in Hollywood. "Diary of a Mad Diva" doesn't hit shelves until July 1st, but in the preview "Page Six" got, there's already enough to get a few feuds going. Here are the best zingers so far:
“Many stars only do one thing well,” Rivers writes. “Of course, the best one-trick pony is Kristen Stewart, who got a whole career by being able to juggle directors’ balls.”
“No one is allowed to dress up anymore during Award Season…The networks have new decency guidelines, which insist that no more breasts, buttocks or genitalia show. Luckily, because of celebrities like Pharrell and his stupid hat, we’ll still be able to see a–holes.”
“They’re everywhere: movies, TV, museums. Enough already! If I want the life sucked out of me, I’ll spend a long weekend with Bethenny Frankel.”
“It’s all over the news that Angelina Jolie had a double mastectomy to prevent getting cancer. I think Paris Hilton should…step up to the plate and try to prevent STDs. It would be so easy for her. All she would have to do is have her knees fused together.”
Source: "Page Six"
IGGY AZALEA BLASTS LORDE
Iggy Azalea was not a fan of this year’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony. Seems she was particularly upset Lorde sang with the surviving members of Nirvana. “Nothing against her, but I think when you’re doing a tribute to someone that’s dead, generally it should be the person’s peer,” Iggy told “Billboard”. “Lorde is not Kurt Cobain’s peer. No matter if she killed the performance or not, I just don’t think it’s appropriate.”
And Lorde wasn’t the only one getting insulted by Iggy. When asked about matching the Beatles’ feat of having the number one and two song on the “Billboard” chart simultaneously she replied, “It doesn’t mean anything. I’d rather be The Rolling Stones.” Yeah, that’s never gonna happen.
J.LO BAILS ON THE WORLD CUP OPENING CEREMONY
Jennifer Lopez has backed out of a planned performance at the World Cup opening ceremony in Brazil Thursday. According to FIFA, J.Lo decided not to perform the official World Cup song “We Are One (Ole Ola)” alongside Pitbull and Claudia Leitte, blaming unspecified “production issues.”
So far, there’s no word on whether those “production issues” have anything to do with her recent split from boyfriend Casper Smart. Or, of course, she could just be skipping the event because so many people in Brazil have protested the tune. They complained the song was too generic, and had too much of Pitbull and J.Lo, and not enough of Brazilian native Leitte, who only sings in Portuguese for a few seconds at the end.
ACTRESS CAST IN WHITNEY LIFETIME MOVIE
Lifetime has found their Whitney Houston. TVLine reported over the weekend that “America’s Next Top Model “Cycle 3 runner-up Yaya DaCostahas been cast to play the beloved signer in the channel’s planned biopic, tentatively titled “Whitney Houston.” The movie, which will be the directorial debut for actress Angela Bassett, will focus on Whitney’s early success in the music business, as well as her volatile relationship with husbandBobby Brown.
TOP MOVIES THIS WEEKEND
There was no fault in the box office this weekend. The big screen adaptation of "The Fault in Our Stars" easily took the top spot this weekend, and, according to Deadline, surprised people along the way. The movie took in somewhere around $55-million, and only cost about $12-million to make. "Maleficent" managed to hold on to the number two spot in its second week out, but did drop over 50-percent. Tom Cruise's "Edge of Tomorrow" opened at number three, not where anyone wanted, but where a lot of people expected. "X-Men: Days of Future Past" and "A Million Ways to Die in the West," which lost almost 60-percent of its audience in week two, rounded out the top five.
THE TONY AWARDS RECAP
Congratulations are in order for Audra McDonald. She won her sixth Tony Award in the Best Leading Actress in a Play category for “Lady Day at Emerson’s Bar & Grill.” With that, she topped Angela Lansbury’s record of five. Although Broadway veteran Julie Harris has six awards, one of hers was a Lifetime Achievement Award. All of Audra’s are for acting.
Here’s a look at some of the other winners at last night’s kudofest. For a complete list, go to CBS News:
- Best Musical: "A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder"
- Best Leading Actor in a Musical: Neil Patrick Harris, "Hedwig and the Angry Inch"
- Best Leading Actress in a Musical: Jessie Mueller, "Beautiful - The Carole King Musical"
- Best Featured Actor in a Musical: James Monroe Iglehart, "Aladdin"
- Best Featured Actress in a Musical: Lena Hall, "Hedwig and the Angry Inch"
- Best Play: "All the Way"
- Best Leading Actor in a Play: Bryan Cranston, "All the Way"
- Best Leading Actress in a Play: Audra McDonald, "Lady Day at Emerson's Bar & Grill"
- Best Featured Actor in a Play: Mark Rylance, "Twelfth Night"
- Best Featured Actress in a Play: Sophie Okonedo, "A Raisin in the Sun"
- Best Revival of a Play: "A Raisin in the Sun"
- Best Revival of a Musical: "Hedwig and the Angry Inch"
- Isabelle Stevenson Award: Rosie O'Donnell
Source: CBS News
THE BACHELORETTE (ABC) Highlights from Season 10, including previously unseen footage.
ABC NEWS SPECIAL: HILLARY CLINTON PUBLIC AND PRIVATE (ABC) Hillary Clinton is interviewed by Diane Sawyer in her Washington, D.C., home about her book, "Hard Choices."
MISTRESSES (ABC) Savi runs into problems with sharing an office with an attorney who doesn’t respect her space; April begins an affair with an artist; Joss and Harry argue about a party they are planning; Karen testifies at a parole hearing.
2 BROKE GIRLS (CBS) repeat. Caroline attends the funeral of her former nanny and realizes the family has no idea who she is.
MOM (CBS) repeat. Violet finds the perfect family to adopt her baby; Christy and Bonnie help to make sure the process goes smoothly.
MIKE AND MOLLY (CBS) back-to-back repeats. After an incident leaves a window in their house broken, Mike and Molly move in with Peggy.Plus: Mike asks Carl to take his place at Molly’s dance class, but gets jealous when he sees them having fun.
LAST COMIC STANDING (NBC) repeat. As the auditions come to an end, the judges decide which comics will move on to the semifinals.
AMERICAN NINJA WARRIOR (NBC) The competition in St. Louis includes obstacles Rope Junction into Cargo, Double Tilted Ladder and Crazy Cliffhanger.
MASTERCHEF (FOX) The 20 remaining contestants must cook for 500 service members on an Army base.
24: LIVE ANOTHER DAY (FOX) President Heller makes attempts to stop Margot from committing anymore attacks; Jack and Kate race to save the life of a key player in a terror plot.
WHOSE LINE IS IT ANYWAY? (CW) back to back episodes. Robbie Amell; comedian Jeff Davis. Plus: Tara Lipinski; Keegan Michael Kay.
BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (CW) Vincent and Kat unexpectedly form an alliance with the FBI.
LONGMIRE (A&E) Walt investigates the murder of a Russian adoptee; Henry faces problems in jail.
THE REAL HOUSEWIVES OF ORANGE COUNTY (BRAVO) Shannon’s holiday party is flanked with drama; Vicki copes with Briana’s move to Oklahoma; Tamra is faced with a harsh reality.
LADIES OF LONDON (BRAVO) Noelle and her boyfriend have legal trouble; Caprice reveals a secret; the ladies get ready for an important social event.
LOUIE (FX) Louie remembers his past.
SWAMP PEOPLE (HIST) Deckhands must help the captains; a team deals with an injury.
16 & PREGNANT (MTV) back-to-back repeats. True stories of pregnant teenagers.
COSMOS: A SPACETIME ODYSSEY (NATGEO) Science shows that big mysteries, like dark matter, await us in space.
THE NUMBERS GAME (NATGEO) back-to-back new episodes. Toughness is more than physical strength. Plus: The science behind being enough of a leader to be a boss.
SEX SENT ME TO THE ER (TLC) A man is freed from a steel ring; a couple has issues with a tryst at a construction site.
LOVE & HIP HOP: ATLANTA (VH1) TBA
HIT THE FLOOR (VH1) Jelena gets the upperhand on Ahsha, developments are made in Sloane’s investigation, Jude and Zero team up, and Lionel’s motives are exposed.
JIMMY KIMMEL (ABC) repeat. Dr. Phil McGraw, Sage Steele. Music from Mo.
DAVID LETTERMAN (CBS) Scheduled: Kelsey Grammer; Bill Scheft; Willie Nelson.
CRAIG FERGUSON (CBS) Scheduled: Dennis Miller; Ashley Madekwe.
TONIGHT SHOW/JIMMY FALLON (NBC) Scheduled: Clint Eastwood; Jack White.
LATE NIGHT/SETH MEYERS (NBC) Scheduled: Steve Buscemi, Jake Tapper, Sia performs.
THE DAILY SHOW WITH JON STEWART (COM) Scheduled: Author Phillip K. Howard.
THE COLBERT REPORT (COM) Scheduled: “Mating in Captivity” author Esther Perel
@MIDNIGHT (COM) Scheduled: Dave Hill, Steve Agee, Michelle Buteau
CHELSEA LATELY (E!) Scheduled:Dustin Ybarra, Arden Myrin, Ross Matthews, Lena Headey.
LAST CALL/CARSON DALY (NBC) repeat. A performance from Kaiser Chiefs, Noah Gundersen