SAG AWARDS: Three Billboards..., This Is Us, Veep and Big Little Lies Win Big
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, This Is Us, Veep and Big Little Lies were the big winners at the SAG Awards on Sunday night.
The show put the spotlight on women, with nearly all female presenters and Kristen Bell serving as the ceremony's first-ever host.
Morgan Freeman received the Life Achievement Award.
- On the red carpet, Alison Brie defended her brother-in-law James Franco, who's been accused of sexual misconduct. (She's marred to Dave Franco.) Alison told E!'s Giuliana Rancic, “I think that above all, what we’ve always said is that it remains vital that anyone who feels victimized should and you know, does have the right to speak out and come forward. I obviously support my family, and not everything that’s come forward is fully accurate, so I think we’re waiting to get all the information. But of course now is the time for listening and that’s what we’re all trying to do.”
- As expected, James Franco, who skipped last week’s Critic’s Choice Award, showed up at Sunday's SAG Awards -- his first public appearance since the allegations went public.
- Morgan Freeman closed his speech by saying, "I’m gonna tell you what’s wrong with this statue. It works from the back. From the front, it’s gender specific … Maybe I started something.”
- Sterling K. Brown's victory marks the first time a black actor has won the category (Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Drama Series).
- Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
- Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role: Frances McDormand, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
- Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role: Gary Oldman, Darkest Hour
- Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series: This Is Us
- Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Drama Series: Claire Foy, The Crown
- Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Drama Series: Sterling K. Brown, This Is Us
- Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries: Nicole Kidman, Big Little Lies
- Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries: Alexander Skarsgard, Big Little Lies
- Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role: Sam Rockwell, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
- Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role: Allison Janney, I, Tonya
- Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series: Veep
- Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Comedy Series: Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep
- Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Comedy Series: William H. Macy, Shameless
- Outstanding Action Performance by a Stunt Ensemble in a Comedy or Drama Series: Game of Thrones
- Outstanding Action Performance by a Stunt Ensemble in a Motion Picture: Wonder Woman
The self-titled debut album from Camila Cabello arrived at #1 on the charts. She’s the first woman since Ariana Grande and Meghan Trainor in 2015 to land at the top spot with their debut album. (Billboard)
Justin Timberlake totally dissed his ex-girlfriend Britney Spears. When asked if he’s considered a residency in Las Vegas, Justin replied (quote) “I wouldn’t rule it out, but you know, it feels like you’re planning your retirement.” (Beats 1 Radio)
Prince William threw in the towel in the battle against his receding hairline. Kate Middleton’s hairdresser gave him a fresh buzz cut. Free of charge. But William tipped Richard Ward 250 dollars! The Palace dismissed the story by saying William is “very amused” people thought he had enough hair to justify a 250 dollar tip. (The Mirror UK)
Paris Hilton approved of the name Kim Kardashian chose for her baby. Paris tweeted (quote) “Love the name Chicago! So cool to be named after a city! Love it.”
At Saturday’s Women’s March in Los Angeles, Scarlett Johansson called out to accused creep and hypocrite James Franco (quote) “I want my pin back.” (Los Angeles Times)SAG Award nominee James Franco emerged from hiding to attended the ceremony. (New York Post) Fellow nominee Aziz Ansari, who inappropriately creeped on a young woman during their first date, avoided the show. (Entertainment Tonight)
The latest athlete to qualify for both the summer and winter Olympics is from the island nation of Tonga. You may remember Pita Taufatofua [pr: TOWE-fah-tuh-foo-uh] as the shirtless, oily wonder carrying the Tonga flag at the Rio opening ceremonies. After competing in taekwondo there, he’s traveling next month to South Korean to compete in b cross-country skiing. (Wall Street Journal)
Taylor Swift Surprises Newlyweds
Newlyweds flaunted on Twitter the note of congratulations and bouquet of flowers they received from Taylor Swift.
She learned the ladies’ proposal featured lyrics of her country hit “Love Story” from 10 years ago. It became the couple’s song because it hit the radio the same month they started dating in 2008.
Brittany Lewis asked her high school sweetheart Alexas Gonzales to marry. (quote) “So I talked to your dad, now it’s time to pick out a white dress ... Will you marry me?”
The Today Show interviewed the newlyweds. Brittany said, (quote) “We related so much to all of her songs. Brittany would make me CDs in high school and write notes on them. It was always all of Taylor’s music.”
Alexas recalled her reaction at reading Taylor’s card, (quote) “I burst into tears. I was already emotional about the day… It was the icing on the cake.”
ADELE: Women's March Instagram
We haven't heard much from Adele lately, but she took to Instagram this weekend to express her feelings about participating in the L.A. Women's March on Saturday.
Under a picture of her with Cameron Diaz and Jennifer Lawrence, Adele wrote: "The most influential people in my life have always been women. My family, my friends, my teachers, my colleagues, and my idols. I am obsessed with all the women in my life. I adore them and need them more and more every day. I am so grateful to be a woman, I wouldn't change it for the world.
"I hope I'm not only defined by my gender though. I hope I'm defined by my input to the world, my ability to love and to have empathy. To raise my son to be a a good man alongside the good man who loves me for everything I am and am not. I want what's best for people, I think we all do. We just can't agree on what that is. Power to the peaceful, power to the people."
Jesse Williams Paying $50k Monthly Spousal Support
Grey’s Anatomy actor Jesse Williams must pay his estranged wife 50-grand in monthly spousal support. Plus, she’s owed half his paychecks over the five years they were married.
Williams filed for divorce last spring. The court battle has been brutal. In part, because he strayed from his wedding vows with Minka Kelly. Those two are now dating, but Minka denies she’s a homewrecker.
Last year, Aryn Drake-Lee convinced the divorce court judge she needed one-thousand dollars daily in support. She went back and demanded even more money based on Williams’s salary increase on Grey's Anatomy.
Her attorney told People magazine, (quote) “This arrangement provides stability and continuity for the children. Their best interests are the highest priority.”
Hailee Steinfeld Upgrades Couple’s Babymoon
Pitch Perfect actress Hailee Steinfeld celebrated her birthday last month with a random act of kindness.
She secretly covered all the charges of a hotel’s royal suite for a pregnant couple on their babymoon.
Hailee overheard the pair as they waited for a room to be cleaned, so she pulled a few strings at the front desk and upgraded the couple’s reservation.
It cost 20-grand for their extended stay! (Crazy Days and Nights)
OLIVIA MUNN: Texts Anna Faris to Shoot Down Chris Pratt Dating Rumors
Olivia Munn wants people to know she's not dating Chris Pratt -- especially her pal Anna Faris.
After rumors swirled that the actress and Anna's ex were an item and Anna was furious, Olivia sent a text to the Mom star shooting down the story. On Instagram, Olivia shared a photo of her text, which read, "Since we know each other, I wanted to reach out to you personally to tell you the story about me and Chris dating has 0% truth. I'm sure you already know it's not true, or maybe didn't care either way, but I just wanted to reach out personally to tell you it's not true."
Ana replied, "Oh my god—this town is so [expletive] crazy -- you are so sweet to text. I love you -- having said that if you were my new sister in law I would be thrilled...let's please catch up soon."
Munn told her two million followers: "Not every woman is scorned and upset after a breakup. Not every woman is 'furious' at another woman for dating her ex... So even if I was dating [Chris], some tabloids got me and [Anna] all wrong... Women respect and love each other a lot more than some people like to think." (Us Magazine)
DANCE MOMS: Abby Lee Miller Getting Out of Jail Early
Former Dance Moms star Abby Lee Miller will be a free woman soon. The 51-year-old is set to leave a federal prison on February 20th -- after having served less than half of her sentence for fraud.
Abby, who was sentenced to a year and one day in July, is being released early for good behavior. So far, she's served about five months.
In 2015, Abby was indicted on 20 counts of fraud for hiding hundreds of thousands of dollars in her bankruptcy case.
Following her release, she'll move to a halfway house. (Page Six)
Ed Sheeran to Retire Once Kids Arrive
Now that Ed Sheeran is engaged, he is one-step closer to retirement.
Ed’s pondered how his priorities will change becoming a husband and father. He recently said (quote) “My ambition will drop to zero as soon as I have kids. I am going to be like, 'I do not really care anymore. I want to be a good father.”
He’s admitted that having children is a two-way decision with his fiancée, Cherry Seaborn. Though, two years ago, Ed said that he “wanted to be a dad like last year.” (Daily Star UK)
ED SHEERAN: Engaged
Ed Sheeran is engaged.
He announced Saturday on Instagram that he and girlfriend Cherry Seaborn actually took the plunge late last year. He wrote they they "are very happy and in love," and that their cats are also pleased -- actually, he used a British word for it, "chuffed."
Sheeran and Seaborn have been friends for many years -- they attended school together as kids -- but have only been romantically involved since 2015. He plays arenas and she knows something about those, too. She was a college hockey player, both in Britain and for one year at Duke University in North Carolina.
Sheeran credited Seaborn with nursing him back to health after he had a bad biking accident last year. He's said she went so far as to actually brush his teeth for him at the time.
We'll see if the announcement has any effect on his album sales. ÷(pr: Divide) slips to number-three on this week's Billboard 200 after spending the last three weeks at number-two.
1. Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle - $20 million
2. 12 Strong - $16.5 million
3. Den of Thieves - $15.3 million
4. The Post - $12.2 million
5. The Greatest Showman - $11 million
For a third straight weekend, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle was the number-one movie in North America. The action flick earned $20 million, raising its total to $317 million.
The war drama 12 Strong, starring Chris Hemsworth, opened in second with $16.5 million, while the crime drama Den of Thieves, starring Gerard Butler and 50 Cent, premiered in third with $15.3 million.
The Post dropped from second to fourth with $12.2 million.
The Greatest Showman went from fourth to fifth with $11 million.
And the romance Forever My Girl opened in 10th with $4.7 million.