- A lot of people take melatonin supplements to help them sleep. But how much do we really know about the supplement and hormone, which is both sold in stores and naturally produced by our brain? Here are seven facts about melatonin, courtesy of BuzzFeed:
- Melatonin supplements aren't FDA-regulated.
- So, if you want to take melatonin supplements, go for pharmaceutical-grade products.
- Research has found that the correct dose of melatonin is 0.3 milligrams, which is a lot less than what most people are taking. (In drugstores, melatonin is usually sold in 1mg, 3mg, 5mg, or 10mg doses.)
- When taking melatonin, it's still important to reduce your exposure to blue light at night.
- Melatonin isn't meant to make you sleepy, like a traditional sleep aid might.
- But it's a great way to fight jet lag and adjust to a new time zone.
- Melatonin supplements should be taken around two hours before bed.
Content Goes Here