It’s no secret that most American adults probably aren’t getting the recommended seven to nine hours of sleep each night. But just how bad is America’s state of sleeping?
Well, a new survey by the National Sleep Foundation finds:
- The average American admits to feeling sleepy three times a week.
- As for how they try to combat that, 62% of people simply say they try to “shake it off.”
- And for some people it’s more than just three days. In fact, those who say they feel sleepy five of seven days a week have high rates of:
- Irritability (52%)
- Headaches (40%)
- Feeling unwell (34%)
So, why are people feeling sleep so often?
- 55% say it’s because they just aren’t sleeping well.
- 44% say it’s because they don’t have enough time to sleep.
As for what people can do to get a better night’s sleep, the National Sleep Foundation recommends:
- Sticking to a sleep schedule, even on weekends.
- Practice a relaxing bed time ritual.
- Start tracking your sleep using apps and devices.
Source:National Sleep Foundation