Handshakes are being avoided during the coronavirus outbreak… and that’s fine.
Greeting people with a handshake or hug is very automatic for many people, and declining them may be awkward but has to be done for a while.Myka Meier,founder of NYC-based Beaumont Etiquette has some solid tips for politely avoiding physical greetings and we had to share!
- Simply say “I’m going handshake-free to be extra careful.”
- Do not say “I don’t want to spread germs.” It makes it sound like you have the bad ones to spread.
- “Stop, Drop and Nod.” It involves a pause, then clasping your hands behind your back and nodding in acknowledgement.
- “Grasp and Greet. It’s simply folding your hands together in front of yourself and mouthing or saying hello.
- Air high-fives are perfectly acceptable.
Source:New York Post