In a Monday meeting, the Rio Rancho Public School Board said parents will have the choice to keep their kids at home for online learning only or opt for a hybrid model this coming fall.
The goal is to have around 15 students per classroom. Kindergarten through Grade 3 would attend class Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Grade 4 through Grade 12 would attend either Mondays and Tuesdays or Thursdays and Fridays.
School buses will have limited capacity with 47 students max, and they'll be required to wear masks and use hand sanitizer. Buses will be wiped down between trips. There will also be temperature requirements that will be discussed in depth at a later date.
For lunch, students will go to the cafeteria, but in a limited fashion. They will use disposable trays and some pre-packaged food
After school programs will be offered on the day or days a parent's child is at school, which means no programs will be offered on Wednesdays. No students will be at school that day.
Each student will get a Chromebook. Some will be asked to leave theirs at school unless they need it.
Officials are looking for places students could access internet, like city libraries. Districts have been asked to put plans in place, should schools have to go all virtual. Rio Rancho officials said they are prepared.
This week, parents can attendonline parent university courses:
- July 16, 5:30 p.m.: What will teaching and learning look like in the Fall?
- Presenters: RRPS Curriculum & Instruction Staff and RRPS School Improvement Office
- July 21, 5:30 p.m.: What will virtual learning look like?
- Presenters: RRPS Curriculum & Instruction Staff, RRPS School Improvement Office and Special Guests from Edgenuity
- July 23, 5:30 p.m.: RRPS COVID Safety Practices
- Presenters: RRPS Safety and Security Department Staff and RRPS Facilities Department Staff
- July 28, 5:30 p.m.: What will transportation and food services look like in the Fall?
- Presenters: RRPS Transportation Department Staff and Sodexo Staff
For more on the story from KOB-TV, CLICK HERE