Schitt’s Creek swept the comedy category and Successionwas named best drama at the 72nd Primetime Emmy Awards -- which was dominated by the coronavirus.
Most acceptance speeches came via satellite and awards were handed out by people in hazmat suits. Jimmy Kimmel hosted the event live from an empty Staples Center in Los Angeles. “Why are we having an awards show in the middle of a pandemic?” he asked the cardboard cutout audience. “What the hell am I doing here?Thisis the year they decide to have a host?”
According to reports, producers had sent more than 130 cameras to nominees in 10 countries.
It was a historic night, besides the virtual show, with several notable records set.Schitt’s Creek became the first series to win every major comedy award -- including acting wins for Eugene Levy,Daniel Levy,Catherine O’Hara and Annie Murphy.Watchmen’s win in the limited series category was the first time a comic-book adaptation walked away with a top prize.Zendaya was she youngest-ever winner for lead drama actress at age 24.Regina King’s win for lead actress in a limited series or movie was her fourth career Emmy and tied her with Alfre Woodard for most acting Emmys won by a Black performer.
Nine out of the 18 acting awards went to Black actors on Sunday night.
Tyler Perry received the Governors Award, which was presented to him by Oprah Winfrey and Chris Rock.
- Drama Series:Succession
- Supporting Actress in a Drama Series: Julia Garner (Ozark)
- Supporting Actor in a Drama Series: Billy Crudup (The Morning Show)
- Directing for a Drama Series: Andrij ParekhSuccession, "Hunting" (HBO)
- Writing for a Drama Series: Jesse ArmstrongSuccession, "This Is Not for Tears" (HBO)
- Lead Actress in a Drama Series: Zendaya (Euphoria)
- Lead Actor in a Drama Series: Jeremy Strong (Succession)
- Competition Program:RuPaul’s Drag Race (VH1)
- Limited Series:Watchmen (HBO)
- Supporting Actress in a Limited Series or Movie:Uzo Aduba(Mrs. America)
- Supporting Actor in a Limited Series or Movie: Yahya Abdul-Mateen II (Watchmen)
- Directing for a Limited Series, Movie or Dramatic Special: Maria SchraderUnorthodox (Netflix)
- Writing for a Limited Series, Movie or Dramatic Special: Damon Lindelof and Cord JeffersonWatchmen, "This Extraordinary Being" (HBO)
- Lead Actor in a Limited Series or Movie: Mark Ruffalo (I Know This Much Is True)
- Lead Actress in a Limited Series or Movie: Regina King (Watchmen)
- Variety Talk Series:Last Week Tonight With John Oliver (HBO)
- Comedy Series:Schitt’s Creek(Pop TV)
- Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series: Annie Murphy (Schitt’s Creek)
- Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series: Dan Levy (Schitt’s Creek)
- Directing for a Comedy Series: Andrew Cividino and Daniel Levy "Schitt’s Creek,"Happy Ending"
- Writing for a Comedy Series: Daniel LevySchitt’s Creek, "Happy Ending"
- Lead Actor in a Comedy Series: Eugene Levy (Schitt’s Creek)
- Lead Actress in a Comedy Series: Catherine O’Hara (Schitt’s Creek)