Dog Food Recall: Now Than 70 Dogs Have Died

Midwestern Pet Foods, Inc. has expanded its recall of some of its products after reports that the food is linked to multiple dog deaths. Now the FDA is saying that more than 70 dogs that have died and more than 80 that are sick after eating Sportmix pet food. Aflatoxin is a toxin that can grow on corn and other grains used as ingredients in pet food, according to the FDA. At high levels, aflatoxin can cause illness and death in pets. The Evansville, Indiana, family-owned company said in a statement Wednesday, (Jan. 12) that in its nearly 100 years it has never had a recall until recently. Midwestern Pet Foods first announced a voluntary recall on Dec. 30 and expanded it this week. Pets experiencing aflatoxin poisoning may have the following symptoms: sluggishness, loss of appetite, vomiting, jaundice (a yellowish tint to the skin, eyes or gums due to liver damage) and diarrhea. The company says it has a call center with licensed veterinarians for consumers who have questions or concerns regarding their pet’s health. Call 800-474-4163, extension 455, or email for more information. Read more here