Spring will be here in just a few weeks, which means it’s almost time for spring cleaning and The ‘Home Edit’ ladies are here to help.Clea ShearerandJoanna Teplin, stars of their show “Get Organized with The Home Edit,” are known for their fresh approach to organizing and displaying items in rainbow color order. They say the best system is the one you’re going to maintain, and these are their tips for organizing the fridge, pantry and everything in the kitchen:
- Pantry- Start by taking everything out to check expiration dates, then divide into categories.
- Categorize- Put like things together, all cans, all snacks, then organize within the groups in a way that makes sense to you.
- Contain- Give everything its own space in clear storage bins and boxes.
- Consistency- Label those containers so everyone in the house knows the assigned place for everything.
- Fridge- Joanna says it all comes down to zones in the fridge.
- Compartmentalize- Have a designated spot for everything, then organize within that area. This will also help you see when you’re running low on something in that area.
- Consistency- The ladies say once you create a zone, it helps to label it.
- Freezer- Those clear organization bins work to keep frozen foods contained.
- Categorize- The ladies suggest separating food into sections that make sense to you, it could be by type of ingredients, or from breakfast to dinner, or even meal prep to prepared meals. As long as you can find things in the zones, you’re good to go.
- Countertops- To keep things from getting cluttered, try creating stations for must-have items that live on the counter, like a coffee maker and pods.
- They recommend using a tray to contain these things to make it look intentional.
- Clean up and clean out- For spring cleaning, take everything out of cabinets and drawers and wipe surfaces down then make choices about what you put back.
- Make things more visible- The Home Edit way is all about using clear storage containers to organize so you can see what you have and this works really well in the kitchen.