Vanessa Bryant is the cover model forPeople’s annual “Women Changing the World” issue. She opened up about surviving and thriving in the wake of the tragic deaths of her husbandKobe Bryant and daughterGianna,while drawing strength from her daughtersNatalia, Bianka, andCapri.
Along the way, Vanessa also talks about honoring her late husband and daughter’s memory with theMamba & Mambacita Sports Foundation,which continues the NBA legend’s work of promoting equal opportunities for young girls in sports.
Bryant is just one of the women featured in this special issue that honors women who break barriers while lifting others up. Others featured include:
- Stacey Abrams, who mobilized an estimated 800-thousand new voters in Georgia for the November election.
- Former National Youth Poet LaureateAmanda Gorman, who overcame a speech impediment and has inspired many since her moment at the presidential inauguration.
- Sofia Vergara, who teamed up with Kiva to deliver millions in small business loans to people struggling amid the COVID-19 pandemic
- Naomi Osaka, the tennis star who used her platform during the US Open by wearing masks bearing the names of Black people killed as a result of racial profiling and police brutality
- Camila Cabello, who launched the Healing Justice Project in January to provide grants to 10 BIPOC, LGBTQ+ and youth-led organizations to cover six months' worth of mental health support for their workers