We all know that the chicken sandwich war is unrelenting with new entries seemingly every week. Almost every fast food chain has introduced some form of their own versions from hand-breaded breasts, spicy versions, some with lettuce and tomato and other variations. For this ranking, there were a few rules: the chicken had to be fried, on round buns and each competitor had to have similar components. Here are the rankings compiled bythrillistin order from worst to first.
- 13.Burger King Crispy Chicken Sandwich- $5.99 with potato bun, white meat chicken fillet, tomato, lettuce and mayonnaise. According to thrillist there wasn’t enough mayo and the chicken was dry. BK is in the process of bringing out a new and improved version.
- 12.Wendy’s Classic Chicken Sandwich- $5.19 – toasted bun, dry chicken breast, lettuce, tomatoes, pickles and mayonnaise. Another bad review with complaints of bone dry chicken and not much of an improvement over the former Homestyle Chicken Sandwich.
- 11.Checker’s/Rally’s Mother Cruncher Sandwich- $3.99 –toasted bun, battered chicken breast, lettuce, tomato, pickles and a new ‘Squawk’ sauce. Reviewers felt the sauce was the highlight but the sandwich was pretty much of a dud.
- 10.Arby’s Crispy Chicken Sandwich- $4.99 for star cut bun, buttermilk breaded chicken fillet, tomatoes, shredded lettuce and mayonnaise. An average entry that seemed to be dry and nothing really special.
- 9.Culver’s Crispy Chicken Sandwich- $4.29 for Kaiser bun, crispy chicken patty, lettuce and tomato. The dig on this one is no sauce, like none. Not even mayonnaise.
- 8.McDonald’s Crispy Chicken Sandwich- $3.89, potato roll, crispy chicken fillet, pickles and salted butter instead of sauce. Unfortunately without sauce and just butter it was another entry that was too dry and the chicken fillet was found lacking as well.
- 7.Jollibee Chicken Sandwich Classic- $4.49 – soft bun, peppery chicken patty, crunchy lettuce, tomato and mayo. A strong contender and a well-made sandwich that could use a little more spice.
- 6.KFC Chicken Sandwich- $3.99 – Brioche bun, fried chicken breast, pickles and mayonnaise. This one is ‘new and improved’ according to KFC but has the same problem as the prior item as it was too salty. Still a good choice and in the middle of the pack.
- 5.Jack In The Box Cluck Sandwich- $4.79 for Brioche bun, white meat chicken fillet, a single pickle and mystery sauce. A great bun, juicy chicken meat and sauce with a hint of BBQ, honey mustard and mayo. It’s good but it’s small and more expensive than some of the others.
- 4.Carl’s Jr. Big Fillet Chicken Sandwich-$6.89 for a premium bun, chicken fillet with “southern spices”, lettuce, tomato and mayo. A big sandwich with a big price but defintiely recommended favorably by the testers.
- 3.Chick-fil-A Original Chicken Sandwich- $4.99 – buttered bun, boneless chicken breast, 2 very small pickles. This one was a disappointment because the chicken itself was very good but was dry with no sauce and soggy batter.
- 2.Church’s Chicken Chicken Sandwich- $3.99 – honey-butter brushed brioche bun, fried chicken breast, pickles and mayo. Checks in at #2 on the list with great flavor, plenty of mayonnaise and a peppery, garlic batter.
- 1. Popeye’s Chicken Sandwich- $3.99 –Brioche bun, large piece of buttermilk battered chicken, pickles and mayonnaise. The winner again (as in 2019) and superlatives all around from the pollsters singing the praises of crunchy buttermilk batter, sweet buns, great mayo and on and on. Still the king of the chicken sandwiches.