After The Treasury Department and Internal Revenue Service extended the tax deadline by one month back in March, the last day to file your taxes is now just a few days away!
- About 121 million taxpayers have filed their returns (5 million fewer people than last year). Of those,81 millionhave already received refunds through the end of April.
- The average tax refund this year is almost $3,000.
- 40 million taxpayers have yet to file. Utilize online tax filing sites likeTurbo Tax, TaxSlayer, and H&R Block to avoid getting your taxes flagged by the IRS for manual processing. And be sure to ask for direct deposit!
- Taxpayers whose returns are flagged by the IRS will have to wait two to three months for their refunds.
- IRS says that 9 in 10 refunds are issued within 21 days of filing electronically, and within 6 weeks for paper returns sent by mail.
- As of March 2021, the agency still had a backlog of2.4 million paper returns from the 2019 tax year to process