While keeping secrets can be dangerous, sometimes it’s just necessary, and let’s face it, most of us are probably keeping one or two things to ourselves.
A new British poll, which could easily translate here, finds:
- Adults keep an average of two secrets.
- One third of people are keeping their secret to avoid embarrassment.
- 20% are keeping it to themselves to avoid relationship issues.
- 18% are staying quiet in order to protect their personal reputation.
- Over 10% are keeping a secret to stay out of trouble with the police.
- So, what are the most common secrets people are keeping?
- The top secrets being kept include:
- Your mental health
- An embarrassing incident
- Your internet history
- Eating / snack habits
- Hygiene habits
- How many partners you’ve previously had
- Bank /credit card statements
- That you have faked an illness to get out of commitments
- Having an affair
- Having a one-night stand
- As for who folks are keeping their secrets from:
- 20% are keeping secrets from their mother.
- 16% are keeping them from a friend.
- 16% are keeping them from a partner.