Struggling to fall asleep? Here are some tips fromHealth.comthat will help get you to dreamland fast.
- Make a to-do list-- People who make lists to prepare for the next day fall asleep nine minutes faster than those who don't. The longer the list, the quicker you'll fall asleep.
- Get out of bed-- If you haven't fallen asleep in 20 minutes, get out of bed and do something else to avoid associating your bed with insomnia.
- Read a book-- Opt for a real, physical book. And nothing too exciting.
- Listen to soothing sounds-- Download an app with ocean sounds or buy a white noise machine.
- Do simple breathing exercises-- Put one hand on your chest and the other on your belly. Breathe in for two seconds while feeling your belly expand. Gently press on your belly while exhaling.
- Meditate and guided imagery-- This method will focus your mind on something else while also calming you down. The more you practice this technique the more effective it becomes.
- Eat a light carbohydrate snack-- A small serving of carbs like popcorn or whole-grain crackers will activate serotonin production.
- Download a sleep app-- There are many sleep apps available. Choose one with calming sounds, meditations and bedtime stories.