The online resource Dictionary.com has just announced their latest word additions, adding 300 new words and definitions in areas relating to culture, tech, identity, slang, COVID and more.
Among the changes and words added
- Zaddy- an attractive man who is also stylish, charming, and self-confident
- silver fox- an attractive older person with gray or silver hair, especially a man
- Snack– has been updated to include the slang for “a sexy and physically attractive person; hottie”
- Oof- an exclamation used to sympathize with someone else’s pain or dismay, or to express one’s own
- Yeet- an exclamation of enthusiasm, approval, triumph, pleasure, joy, etc.
- Y’all– used to direct address usually two or more people, or to one person who represents a family or organization
- A**hat- a foolish, annoying, or contemptible person; a**hole
- Sh*tshow- a person or thing that is a total mess, failure, or disaster
- Side hustle- a job or occupation that brings in extra money beyond one’s regular job and main source of income
- 5G- fifth-generation, wireless
- Dplatforming- to prohibit (a person or people) from sharing their views in a public forum, especially by banning a user from posting on a social media website or application
- Long Covid, long hauler and long haul- a person who experiences symptoms or health problems that linger or first appear after supposed recovery from an associated acute illness or active infection
- Aunt Jemima -disparaging and offensive. A Black woman considered by other Black people to be subservient to or to curry favor with white people
- content warning -a stated warning that the content of the immediately following text, video, etc., may upset or offend some people