The Olympics are supposed to kick off tomorrow (barring any last minute cancelation due to COVID), and while there will be a variety of sports to watch, there are certainly some competitions that are more popular than others.
According to a new YouGov poll:
- Only 37% of Americans are actually interested in this year’s Olympics, with 12% saying they are very interested.
- 40% of people are not interested at all.
- Those 65% and older are the most likely to be interested in the Games (47%).
So, for those who are interested, what are their favorite summer Olympic sports to watch?
- Well, Michael Phelps or not, Swimming is still the most popular Olympic sport, with 43% of people saying it’s their favorite.
- Other popular Olympic sports include:
- Artistic gymnastics (39%)
- Diving (36%)
- Volleyball (beach) (20%)
- Basketball (19%)
- Rhythmic gymnastics (19%)
- Boxing (14%)
- Athletics (including track & field) (12%)
- Baseball (11%)
- Synchronized Swimming (11%)