Looking for a new workout? If walking isn’t already part of your fitness routine, you may want to start there. Manystudieshave found this simple form of movement is one of the best forms of exercise with benefits including better mental and physical health and enhanced communication skills. “Walking is the most underrated, corrective, mind-body, fat-burning exercise available to humans,” explains Dana Santas, a certified strength and conditioning specialist, and mind-body coach in professional sports.
Put your walking shoes on and get your steps in to get these perks:
- Walking improves your health- Research fromHarvard Medical Schoolfinds walking can do more to combat disease than pretty much everything else. Get this - walking for just under 22 minutes a day may reduce your risk of heart disease by an impressive 30%.
- It improves memory and cognitive capability- Lots of studies have shown that walking is a brain booster, includingresearchthat finds walking can lower the risk for dementia and Alzheimer’s.
- It boosts mood and lowers stress- Just a few minutes of walking a day can ease anxiety and improve mood, especially when you’re walking outsidein nature.
- Walking is energizing AND helps you sleep- It can raise energy levels, but it won’t interfere with sleep, according toresearchthat finds women over 50 who walk for an hour every morning were less likely to have insomnia than those who didn’t walk.
- It can be a vigorous workout- Walking can be safe and easy exercise for newbies, but you can also ramp up the intensity with bursts of running, adding hand or ankle weights, or going up and down hills.
- It can build family bonds- Going out for a walk with kids can enhance communication and even boost academic success.
- Walking is free and can be done anywhere- No pricey gym membership required. All you need are shoes and a place to walk, even if it's inside a mall when the weather is bad.