- The U.S. Education Department is erasing the student loan debt of more than 323,000 borrowers who have significant, permanent disabilities.
- Beginning in September, $5.8 billion in debt for those who are totally and permanently disabled and have limited incomes will be wiped out.
- There was a program for those with disabilities to have their school loan debt released after a three-year monitoring period. The government has dropped the three-year waiting period.
- A spokesman for National Student Legal Defense Network said "This is a huge moment for hundreds of thousands of borrowers with disabilities who can now move on with their lives and won’t be trapped in a cycle of debt."
- Those eligible to have their debt erased will be contacted.
Find out more here https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/us-erase-student-debt-severe-disabilities-79539965