After taking a year off “because Covid,” the Texas State Fair is back in action – and so is the food competition! Now, starting September 24th, you’ll get to sample the top 10 finalists for the Big Tex Choice Award.There are five sweets and five savories...and they are:
- Crispy Crazy Corn– Fried corn kernels topped with pork and pineapple slaw
- Deep Fried I-35– Fried kolache dough topped with smoked brisket and drizzled with peach juice combined with Dr Pepper
- Deep Fried Seafood Gumbo Balls– Fried bites with shrimp, sausage and crab rolled in saltine cracker and breadcrumb batter then topped with chicken-fried okra spears.
- Lucky Duck Dumplin’– A pastry filled with duck bacon, cream cheese and roasted corn
- Pork shots– Texas smoked sausage wrapped in bacon and filled with mac and cheese
- The Armadillo– A massive big cookie butter ice cream sandwich in the shape of an armadillo, of course
- Brisket Brittle– Traditional dessert brittle with Texas brisket replacing the peanuts
- Deep Fried Halloween– A large pretzel that’s covered in candy corn syrup and topped with sprinkles, candy corn, chocolate and marshmallow icing
- Fernie’s Fried Toffee Crunch Cake– A cake doughnut dipped in panko and vanilla cookie crumbs then fried
- Texas Pumpkin Poke Cake– A Texas-shaped pumpkin cake with caramel and vanilla glaze
So no...none of these are “diet friendly”and that’s kind of the point. As finalistIsaac Rousso(creator of the Deep Fried Halloween) puts it: “We don’t talk about dentists, sugar or calories at the State Fair.” Wanna try some of these? Get yourself The Fair, which runs from September 24ththrough October 17thin Dallas.CLICK HEREfor more information.
Source:Dallas Morning News