We love getting compliments, thoughtful ones, that is. And the more specific they are, the more they make us feel seen and valued. Fatherly asked a variety of women to share the compliment they want to hear from their partners more often andthese are the kind words they would appreciate hearing.
- “I love the way you think”- You’re not always going to agree with your partner, but having them tell you they appreciate your way of thinking, even when you disagree, shows they know you on a deeper level and appreciate your point of view.
- “You’re a great mom”- Lots of moms feel like they’re failing at the job, so positive feedback like this goes a long way to reassure them that they're doing well.
- “We’re proud of you”- One mom says she would love to hear the people she loves recognize her as someone who’s accomplished some great things.
- “Thank you”- It’s not a typical compliment, but for one mom, hearing “thank you” would let her know her “contributions are valued, thought about and noticed.”
- “You’re so good at remembering”- It feels good when someone shares that you make them feel special by remembering them, their birthdays and all the little things you never forget.
- “Your best is enough”- “Tell me I’m enough, that my best is enough, that my failures still make me enough,” one woman shares. “To me, that’s love.”
- “I like you”- Love your partner is one thing, but hearing them simply say “I like you” seems genuine and as one wife says, “I’d like to be liked.”
- “You don’t give up”- After being laid off from several jobs, then getting her masters and finally feeling like she succeeded, one woman says, “It would fill me with pride to hear my husband express how impressed he is with where I am now.”