When you are trying to find that special someone, the last thing on most people’s mind is money, but it really shouldn’t be. While chemistry and attraction are important, money does play a big role in relationships, and if you are paying attention, there are signs that may indicate money may become an issue down the road.
- Research by the UK firm MoneySuperMarket has revealed the top financial red flags to look out for when dating.
- When it comes to a first date, 46% of people say someone flaunting their wealth or showing off expensive items is the biggest red flag.
- Others red flags include:
- Ordering the most expensive item off the menu (37%)
- Refusing to admit financial privilege (40%)
- Gender rules/expectations about who pays the bill (28%)
- Paying for items with a credit card (27%)
- But even if you get past the first date there are still some things you need to keep an eye out for.
- For example, 52% of people are not down with someone trying to look wealthier than they are.
- Another major red flag is someone being secretive about their income (40%).
- Other relationship red flags include:
- Job instability (43%)
- Uses buy now pay later schemes (35%)
- Regularly uses their credit card (33%)
Source: Metro UK