Elementary Students Accidentally Eat Marijuana Candy At School

From KOB-TV:

At least 14 Algodones elementary students went to the hospital Monday after a classmate shared THC candies with them. School representatives didn’t give their exact ages, but they’re all ten or younger. They told an adult at the school they were feeling sick after all eating the same candy.

The New Mexico Poison Center warned about this risk prior to legalization, especially when it comes to products that mirror candy.

"Edibles are edible and they're attractive,” said Dr. Steven Seifert, the medical director of the NM Poison Center. “They're going to attract children as well as adults to consuming them."

Seifert, however, says this situation could’ve been much worse if a different drug was involved.

"Cannabis is not a very dangerous drug in general,” said Dr. Seifert. “And it does not have the same kind of health threats that many substances that are out in the community have."

This incident has sparked another reminder for adults to keep this newly-legal drug out of kids’ reach.

"This is a psychoactive drug that needs to be kept away from them just as you would keep other medications, alcohol, and any drugs that might be in the house,” said Dr. Seifert.

Children who have taken marijuana could experience symptoms like slower awareness, and balance and coordination issues.

The NM Poison Center is always a good source for information and guidance. You can always reach a professional at (800) 222-1222. 

CLICK HERE for more from KOB-TV


Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content