Some people can’t imagine living without the bright lights and crowded spaces of a big city, but it’s not for everyone. In fact, research shows that 31% of Americans say they prefer to live in the suburbs. There are plenty of small cities that offer a quieter life and a new report reveals the ones that outshine the rest.
- WalletHub has just come out with their annual list of the Best Small Cities in America.
- They compared more than 13-hundred (1,321) cities with populations between 25-thousand and 100-thousand on 45 key indicators of livability.
- The cities were rated in five main areas - affordability, economic health, education & health, quality of life and safety.
- Factors including housing costs, quality of school systems, restaurants per capita and average commute time were all used to determine the rankings.
- Topping the list for 2023 as the Best Small City in the U.S. is Carmel, Indiana, which is one of many cities that scored in the 99th percentile, and it comes in fourth in the safety category.
Top 10 Best Small Cities in America
(check out the full list here)
- Carmel, Indiana
- Lexington, Massachusetts
- Brentwood, Tennessee
- Westfield, Indiana
- Fishers, Indiana
- Fair Lawn, New Jersey
- Milton, Massachusetts
- Melrose, Massachusetts
- Saratoga Springs, New York
- Brookfield, Wisconsin