Some of our favorite things about fall involve the smells and tastes of the season, like pumpkin spice and apple cider. But it turns out, indulging in all things autumn could be bringing hidden dangers in for our pets.

These are some of the common seasonal pet hazards to avoid:

  • Foods - Between Halloween and Thanksgiving, fall is full of food-related celebrations, but a lot of “people foods” can actually be dangerous to pets for various reasons. Seasonal foods that pets shouldn’t get include corn cobs, apple seeds, nuts, cocoa and chocolate, cooked bones, onions and garlic, seasoned meats, grapes and raisins and anything with pumpkin spice.
  • Candles, diffusers and other fragrance items - We love the cozy scents of fall they bring, but candles can put pets at risk, as the smoke and fragrance can cause irritation, coughing, sneezing, watery eyes and itchy skin, especially with cats. Potpourri and incense can be toxic if a pet eats them, and essential oils can, too. Some animals, like birds, shouldn’t be exposed to oils or diffusers because of their hypersensitive respiratory system and cats are especially sensitive to them because their livers can’t break down the oils.
  • Plants - Some of the blooms to avoid to keep pets safe include mums, which are everywhere this time of year, but contain things that are toxic to dogs, cats and horses. Autumn crocuses and even acorns from oak trees are also dangerous if pets eat them.
  • Other items to keep away from pets include antifreeze, mothballs, and traps and poisons for pests and critters.

Source: USA Today

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content