Grilling season is here and for some folks, that’s the best part of summer. But while you’re enjoying those laid-back cookouts, you’ll need something to sip on. Wine drinkers, these are the best wine pairings to enhance the flavors and textures of your favorite grilled dishes.
- Grilled seafood with rosé - It’s not just for sipping poolside, a bright, refreshing rosé also compliments shrimp, lobster and grilled fish. Recommended bottles include H3 Rosé 2019 with grilled tuna and DAOU Vineyards Rosé 2019 with grilled salmon.
- Grilled chicken with chardonnay - Grilled chicken is a summertime classic and no matter how you prepare it, a classic chardonnay pairs well with it. If you’re slathering your bird with barbecue sauce, try La Crema Sonoma Coast Chardonnay 2018 and if oaked chardonnay isn’t your thing, you may like your grilled chicken with a bottle of Yalumba Y Series Unwooded Chardonnay 2019.
- Grilled steak with cabernet sauvignon - You need a bold wine to stand up to the robust flavors of grilled steak and cabernet sauvignon is a top choice. Wine experts suggest Grounded Wine Co. California Cabernet Sauvignon 2019 and Chateau Ste. Michelle Cabernet Sauvignon 2017.
- Grilled vegetables with sauvignon blanc - After you hit up the farmer’s market and load up on fresh summer produce like bell peppers, eggplant, tomatoes and corn, tossing them on the grill can elevate their flavors. To compliment them best, you’ll want a crisp, light white wine with “bright acidity” - which you’ll find in a sauvignon blanc. Spy Valley Sauvignon Blanc 2020 and Veramonte Sauvignon Blanc 2019 both pair nicely with grilled veggies.
- Grilled pork with zinfandel - From smoky ribs to succulent grilled pork chops, a zinfandel is a good match for pork. This red wine with cherry flavors, spice and sometimes a touch of smoke and maple is smooth and some even like it slightly chilled, which may be ideal on a hot summer night. Bonterra Organically Grown Zinfandel 2019 pairs well with barbecued pork ribs and for grilled pork chops, try Murphy-Goode Liar's Dice Zinfandel 2015.
Source: Martha Stewart
Photo: Getty Images