No one’s figured out how to stop the aging process yet, but taking care of our bodies as we get older is essential. And one of the best ways to do that is with food and nutrients. So what should we be eating to turn down the aging dial?These are the foods to load up on to slow the aging process, according to doctors and nutrition experts.
- Avocados- Not only are they delicious, registered dietitian Laura Burak explains that avocados are full of heart-healthy fats and fiber, B vitamins, potassium and vitamins A, C, E and K, which helps protect us from the aging process. They’re great for glowing skin and they make us happy, and she reminds us, “Don’t they say happier people live longer?”
- Fatty fish- Go for the fish high in omega-3 fatty acids, like salmon, cod and herring, which have been proven to help with inflammation. Research also shows that a steady diet of fatty fish has the ability to lower the risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease.
- Blueberries- They’re high in vitamin A, which helps skin keep elasticity. Blueberries are also a good source of vitamin C and antioxidants called anthocyanins, which registered dietitian Melissa Mitri explains may protect skin by reducing inflammation that can lead to skin damage and aging.
- Leafy greens- Fill your plate with spinach, kale and other leafy greens to get the vitamins, minerals, fiber and other bioactive compounds that can protect our cells and DNA, according to registered dietitian Marie Ruggles.
- Olive oil- It’s a common ingredient in the diets of Blue Zones, the areas of the world where people live the longest.
- Nuts and seeds- These healthy fats are also an important part of an aging-friendly diet thanks to their omega-3s and vitamin E, which helps repair skin from damage as we age.
Source:Eat This, Not That
Photo: Getty Images