- Has anyone ever caught you talking to yourself? Don't feel embarrassed about it; science says there are some pretty good reasons to talk out loud to ourselves.
- Self-talk can actually aid concentration and improve your performance, especially if you're speaking directions out loud.
- One study even found that self-talk can help an athlete's performance. Tennis players were divided into two groups. The group that was asked to practice positive self-talk went into their matches with less anxiety and also performed better.
- Science says it's okay to give ourselves pep talks in the mirror, too, since it might increase our confidence and motivation.
- A Scientific Report study found that even talking to yourself in the third person is an effective way of reducing anxiety or dealing with emotions.
- So, go ahead and tell yourself out loud "You can do this!"
CLICK HERE for the full story
Photo: Getty Images