July 4th weekend is just around the corner, and it’s pretty apparent that folks are ready to travel again, because a new report reveals that a lot of people will be doing just that.
- According to the AAA, 47.9-million Americans are predicted to travel over 50 miles or more for the July 4th holiday, an increase of about 3.7% over last year.
- Those numbers are just a little below the pre-pandemic travel numbers of 2019.
- Despite the high cost of gas, a record number of people plan to take their trip with their car.
- An estimated 42 million people are predicted to hit the road, up from 41.8 million last year.
- That translates to approximately 88% of Americans.
- When it comes to air travel, 3.55-million people will be flying to their destination, down a bit from last year.
- About 2.42 million Americans will head to their destination with other forms of travel, like trains, buses and even some cruise ships, up from 900,000 last year.
Of course with all those people hitting the road, there’s going to be a lot of traffic.
- AAA and INRIX note the worst time to travel will likely be Thursday, June 30th between 2:00 to 8:00 pm, and Friday, July 1st between 12 pm and 9 pm. The best times to travel are before 7 am and after 8 pm on Thursday, and before 10 am and after 9 pm on Friday.
- ONE MORE THING! As for where everyone is going, Disney seems to be popular, with AAA reporting that Orlando, Florida is the top July 4th destination.
Top Independence Day Travel Destinations
- Orlando, FL
- Seattle, WA
- New York, NY
- Anaheim, CA
- Anchorage, AK
- Ft. Lauderdale, FL
- Las Vegas, NV
- Honolulu, HI
- Denver, CO
- Chicago, IL