The grocery delivery company Instacart has compiled some data to come up with the Top 10 summer foods that Americans tend to consume year in and year out. From fresh fruits and vegetables to different meats to grill outdoors, here’s their list of the top 10.
- Nectarines – in season from April until the end of August, one out of 73 carts included this fruit and can be eaten by themselves, added to salads or even a cake.
- Peaches – similar to nectarines these show up in one of 40 carts and are good for peach cobbler, peach iced tea or eaten whole as well.
- Cherries – peak season for cherries are the summer months and they show up in one out of every 38 shopping carts. They can be eaten solo or used for desserts and snacks.
- Corn – fresh corn is best in the summer months and is great for grilling. It shows up in one of 37 shopping carts.
- Hamburgers – an American favorite that shows up in one of 32 carts, but the fact that beef is so expensive and there are plant-based alternatives means that these traditional items aren’t as popular as in the past.
- Hot Dog Buns – ordered by one in every 22 carts, you can always use leftover buns for French Toast sticks if you need a good brunch item.
- Hamburger Buns – one out of 21 people ordered these and besides hamburgers they can be used for chicken sandwiches, turkey or veggie burgers, Sloppy Joes and others.
- Beef Steak – one in 20 carts includes beef steak and the states of California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Alaska and Hawaii order the most.
- Hot Dogs – seem to be more popular than hamburgers because one in 16 carts includes them and residents in the state of Wyoming purchased the most.
- #1 Watermelons – this was the top product with one of 14 carts including them in their order. It’s the most popular fruit of the summer and is great by itself or in a poke bowl, salad or slushie.
Source: Real Simple