Let’s face it, while we all may know it’s wrong, sometimes it’s fun to gossip about other people. So, how many of us are really doing it?
Well, a new YouGov poll finds:
- 20% of Americans admit they like to gossip.
- That includes 5% who say they like it very much, and 15% who “somewhat” enjoy it.
- Meanwhile, 35% of Americans insist they don’t like gossiping that much.
- And 41% don’t like it at all.
But while they may not like it, that doesn’t mean they don’t do it.
- In fact, the poll finds 51% of Americans say they have spread a piece of gossip.
- Only 31% say they never have spread gossip.
As for how people feel about the effect of gossip…
- 46% of people insist it’s usually bad for society and another 23% say it’s “always” bad.
- Only 3% say it’s “always” good, and another 3% say it’s “usually” good.
As for words people would use to describe gossip, they include:
- Harmful (63%)
- Mean-spirited (58%)
- Sinful (28%)
- Addictive (28%)
- Entertaining (23%)
- Fun (14%)
- Harmless (10%)