Music can definitely turn your mood around and a music expert is sharing the specific songs that banish the blues. Dr. Michael Bonshor, who has a PhD in music psychology and researches music in relation to well-being, has even created a scientific formula to identify mood-boosting songs.
- He says to create a happy song, it takes a “combination of a major key, 7th chords, 137 beats per minute, strong beat, four beats in every bar, and a verse-chorus, verse-chorus structure.”
- According to Bonshor, it should also have “a short intro, repeated riffs, high volume, bright tone and a mix of predictability and surprise.”
- Through his research, he finds the song that makes people the happiest is “Good Vibrations” by The Beach Boys.
- Bonshor’s happy formula has been used to create a “pitch-perfect track,” called “The Lighter Note,” which features “upbeat notes, peppy chords and feel-good musical breaks” and it’s available on Soundcloud.
Based on Dr. Bonshor’s formula, these are the top 10 tunes that make people happiest:
- “Good Vibrations” by The Beach Boys
- “I Got You (I Feel Good)” by James Brown
- “House of Fun” by Madness
- “Get the Party Started” by Pink
- “Uptown Girl” by Billy Joel
- “Sun Is Shining” by Bob Marley
- “I Get Around” by The Beach Boys
- “YMCA” by Village People
- “Waterloo” by ABBA
- “September” by Earth, Wind & Fire
Source: The Sun