The way you dress reveals a lot about you, whether you’re trying to or not. It’s fun to experiment with fashion and find what you love, unfortunately, it can also get expensive. But you can dress like you’re rich, even if you’re on a budget, and this is how to do it.
- Don’t buy trendy items - Since trends come and go, these things won’t be in style long and if they’re fast fashion pieces, they may not be well made, which means they won’t last anyway.
- Build a capsule wardrobe - To dress like you’re rich involves a closet full of classic items and a capsule wardrobe can help you get started. It involves buying a few key pieces that can be put together to create dozens of outfits. And because you’re only buying a few of them, you can invest in higher-quality timeless basics that will last, like a silk blouse, a little black dress and a trenchcoat.
- Put yourself together - Wealthy women always look together and you can, too. Find a hairstyle you can easily do yourself, keep your makeup to a minimum and don’t neglect your nails.
- Don’t show too much skin - You’re going for classic here, so no crop tops. Make sure your bra straps aren’t showing and that nothing else is hanging out before you head out the door.
- Invest in good shoes - They don’t have to be high-end designer or cost as much as your rent, but they do need to be in good condition and versatile enough to wear with different outfits. A capsule shoe wardrobe could be as simple as a pair of loafers, chic sneakers, a classic pair of black pumps and everyday sandals.
- Accessorize well - The right accessories can really make or break your look. Steer clear of obvious designer dupes, like a “Gucci” belt, and go for classic versions of everyday items.
Photo: Getty Images