Are you planning a getaway this fall? About three quarters (74%) of Americans are, which is up from 61% last year, according to Tripadvisor. Their Seasonal Travel Index is out, revealing where people are heading and the top travel trends for autumn.
Tripadvisor surveyed customers and used data from their site to find out:
- International trips are on the rise, with 8% of U.S. travelers choosing to go out of the country this fall and 27% planning to travel both internationally and domestically.
- For the 65% who will be traveling within the U.S., 80% plan to go somewhere more than four hours from home.
- Three-quarters (75%) will be going back to a destination they’ve visited before.
- Solo travel is popular for fall, with 26% of American travelers planning to take a trip alone this season.
- The most important trip factor is cost/affordability (62%), but just over half (54%) plan to spend more money on traveling this fall than last year.
- The majority of travelers plan to visit one to two cities during their trip.
- Food is the main priority for 67% of travelers and 49% plan to book or have booked restaurant reservations in advance.
- For travelers staying state-side, the top three most popular destinations are Las Vegas, New York City and Orlando.
The most popular international destinations for Americans this fall:
- Paris, France
- Cancun, Mexico
- Rome, Italy
- London, U.K.
- Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
- Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
- Playa del Carmen, Mexico
- Barcelona, Spain
- Palm-Eagle Beach, Aruba
- Florence, Italy
The top five trending domestic destinations for Americans this fall on Tripadvisor
- Little Torch Key, Florida
- Indian Rocks Beach, Florida
- Miami Springs, Florida
- Hawley, Pennsylvania
- Carefree, Arizona